Building Inspector


ALL BUILDING PROJECTS REQUIRE A PERMIT* (i.e. new construction, remodeling, deck, etc.) EXCEPT for small projects and repairs with a value of less than $500.00. The building inspector is responsible for issuing building permits and overseeing the construction of all phases of projects being done within the city limits. See Quick Links for more information on the inspectors covering projects located in the Town of Hudson, Town of Troy, Town of St. Joseph, and the Village of North Hudson. 

The city uses a combination permit system with one permit issued per project to include all work associated with the project. The building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, structural, etc. will share the same building permit.

All payments for permits must be CASH OR CHECK ONLY, the city can not accept any credit/debit cards.

An application with all supporting documents can be dropped off at city hall (505 3rd Street), mailed, emailed, or faxed (715-386-3385). A minimum of 2-3 days for processing is common. Additional days may be necessary for complex projects or periods of heavy workloads. Once processed and approved, the applicant will be contacted. The applicant must come to city hall during business hours (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday) to sign for the building permit and make payment (cash or check only) before any work is started**.

*New or replacement roofing, siding, and/or same size window/door DO NOT require a building permit if there are no structural changes/repairs.

**Projects started prior to issuance and pickup of the permit are subject to additional fees.


New one-family and two-family residences

All new one-family and two-family residences require a building permit, which must be submitted to the state through the Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS) website. The state then forwards the application to the City of Hudson Building Inspector's office. The applicant will still need to submit the following to the City of Hudson Building Inspector's office:

  • House plan
  • Site plan
  • RES check
  • Erosion control worksheet

Projects for existing one-family and two-family residences

Other projects for existing one-family and two-family residences that require a permit include, but are not limited to:

  • Basement finishing/remodeling
  • Decks
  • Garages and Sheds  (120 sq. ft. or larger)
  • Swimming Pools (5,000 gallons or more)
  • General remodeling to include any mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and/or structural changes

Application Link: Residential Building Permit Application (PDF).


All new residences with three (3) or more units, new businesses, fire sprinkler/alarm systems, and remodeling/alterations of existing facilities require a building permit. Information to be submitted includes, but is not limited to:

  • A completed commercial building permit application
  • A site plan (location of the facility on the lot showing the setback distance from each property line) as applicable
  • A detailed plan of the project to include a set of state-approved plans as applicable

The fire chief/fire inspector reviews and inspects all fire sprinkler/fire alarm system plans/projects. If there are any questions, contact Fire Chief Scott St Martin via email or 715-386-4270 ext. 154.

Application Link: Commercial Building Permit Application (PDF)


Guides for building are available to assist with general questions and requirements:


Required inspections are listed on the building permit card.  Appointments are required to be scheduled at least one (1) business day prior to the appointment. Guides for building inspections are available to assist with inspection questions and scheduling requirements:


General, HVAC (heating, venting, and air conditioning), plumbing, electrical, and fire sprinkler contractors may be required to have a state of Wisconsin registration/residential/license (Building Permit General Information). Information regarding requirements is available by contacting the Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS) at 608-266-2112 or by email, and other state code information and licensing are available at WI DSPS website. To check the status of a license you can go to the WI license search.

Subcontractor Change Form (PDF)